This awesome blogger theme comes under a Creative Commons license. They are free of charge to use as a theme for your blog and you can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.
RSS

The post with no pics!

For the first time in a long time this is a post with. No pics!  Just a story that I fell upon today that made me want to write it out

Back story.  I took the kids to the cabin last wed for some much needed time away and rest. Today I ventured into Moncton to grab some food and time alone. My first stop was to Tim’s!

While in line the older man in front of me chatted to me and everyone else he saw. After I got my coffee. I sat down and this man sat at the table beside me. He asked if he could leave his food to wash his hand. I said sure!

I was nose deep into my iPad when he returned.  Ha. I was  away for a few days in my in box was full and I was slowly going through them.  I felt that he wanted to chat but to be honest. I wasn’t in the chatty mood. Shocking I know. But having just spent the last 3 days with the kids in a cabin. I was talked out. I wanted silence!

As I typed away, a family passed by and went to sit at the wall table. This older men spoke up and offered them his table. They seemed to be put out by the offer but sat with him anyways.

At this point I grabbed the paper so I could watch this scene unfold in front of me.

The old man asked the standard questions. Where are you from?  What’s your name? What do you do for a living?  I was quick to find out they were all from away. The man and daughter from marimichi, the man from Bathurst and the lady from outside Moncton. That’s right. The lady who I thought was with the man and his daughter was a stranger who happen to be behind them!

4 strangers sat at the table to have lunch. After the first 5 mins the conversation flowed. And I sat in wonder. And realized this

People are lonely. This man just wanted someone to talk to. This man and his daughter sat with the lady who was behind him in line and this old man. Soon they were laughing and sharing stories

As I finished up my coffee the old man saw something around the mans neck. A dog tag of sorts. The conversation took an interesting twist. The man served in Afghanistan. He lost his best friend. The lady spoke up. She lost her son in Afghanistan. The old man spoke up. He was a vet. He served over seas until he retired. He shared a story of how he lost his friend in an attack. The daughter sat there and listened.

3 adult random strangers sharing lunch in a random Tim’s on a random cold feb Saturday in Moncton. All 3 with war stories

At this point I felt it was time to leave. I packed up and left. I left these people to bond with privacy.

I sat in my car and wondered how many more ppl I would see and talk to today are lonely. How many of us have stories in common. But. how many of us will find out if someone doesn’t speak up and start a conversation.

Go and start a conversation. You never know what you will find out.

2 comments:

mom said...

Mel, that is so true, people are lonely and we with our full lives barley take time to chat for a few minutes with a stranger.. I'm happy that man found someone to chat with.

mom said...

Chris looks like he has lost weight. ood on him