This awesome blogger theme comes under a Creative Commons license. They are free of charge to use as a theme for your blog and you can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.
RSS

happy helpers


*warning, mini lecture/vent ahead!

i logged on to facebook a few days ago and did my norm. sign in, read messages, respond, do a quick skim over ppl's updates and sign out

i found a convo that was going on with a friend (i did not take part in it) and it went something like this

-yippee my child is potty trained! it only took 3 days!

-wonderful!
-amazing!
-you go girl!
-good job. just wait until they regress
-you must be so happy!

then i found another convo between others that went like this

i am so happy, my child is sleeping though the night!

-great job!
-how did you do it?
-you must be so happy
-well, my daughter slept though the night at 6 wks, your child is what? 4 months?
-my son was sttn at 3 months but only for a few weeks, then the teeth came in and he kept me up all night, just wait it will happen to you

and onto this convo

i logged 5 kms on the treadmill today and did it in 20 mins!

-good job, hope your ankles don't swell like mine did, i had to quit working out bec of it

i stopped
hu?

what's going on?

maybe it's bec i am an older mom with a younger child. a lot of the mom's i chill with are in their 20's and i am a good 10 yrs older than them. when i do get together with mom's my age, their kids are all older. like 10 yrs older. so a lot of time, i will ask them questions. mostly logistics like

-how to potty train boys
-how to teach babies to sleep
-how to keep kids in their beds
-how to teach obedience etc....

i find alot of the time i get the "i had to grit my teeth and go thought it, so will you" ='s i was on my own and so are you. i ain't helping you one bit

instead of

"this is what worked for me, try this" ='s learn from me. i want to save you from what i went through

i am blown away by the lack of support us gals give each other. why?

"teach the younger (not in age, but in life experience) to live in a way that is appropriate for someone serving the lord (hello, character) don't go around speaking negative about each other, to each other. instead teach what is good. these older gals must teach the younger ones what is good." titus 2

i was visiting a new mom last week. she was asking me about the "2's" and "how bad is it" i told her sure, you have days that you want to toss your child in their bed and lock the door but it's your attitude. i think there is NO such thing as the "terrible two's" i call them the "teachable two's"

so, if you ask me how the dreaded, nasty, frustrating, hateful potty training went. i will tell you the truth. it was WAY easier than what i was told it would be. sure, it's frustrating at moments (like this morning when nate got off the toilet too soon and pooped on the floor!) but it is NOT bad!

i read this yesterday

"a wise woman builds her house; a foolish woman tears down with her own hands"

i think it applies to me. i want to be that lady who will build you up, help you, carry some of the burden, give (pass on) advise that i have learnt the hard way. i want to save you from going through what i have. my house is my life, everything in and around me

if my pain can save someone, i WANT to help! just like i want others to help me out!

let's be happy for each other and share the good and bad!

lecture done!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love your "lectures", though I wouldn't call them that ... I think they're motivating! I think you'll bring change to this world by speaking your mind and heart and telling the rest of us what bothers you in this crazy society and thing called life...

I totally agree with you - I've noticed that instead of women cheering each other on, often we would rather know we did a better job than someone else. Isn't that sickning? It's awful. We are emotional driven beings (even more than our husbands are) and we NEED positive women in our lives more than any of us realize and instead we drive other women away by our crazy need for competition! Ugh!

Good rant, Melanie!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel, I think I noticed my fb status. I, too, thought that the third comment of "wait til she regresses" wasn't very encouraging! It certainly wasn't worth the comment back. You've summed up exactly how I felt! A simple way-to-go Olivia was appropriate.

Women do need supportive women in their lives! I'm glad you've found some!

I find your blog very endearing and encouraging!

Hope Nate is feeling better!
Penny