This awesome blogger theme comes under a Creative Commons license. They are free of charge to use as a theme for your blog and you can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.
RSS

kick in the pants!

this made me think this am and i thought i'd share it

after we lost ben, i wanted to pay tribute to him some how. we waited until we knew what we should do.  4 yrs ago in june we were sent to caring for the heart ministries in colorado. the week changed both of chris and my life. we still use the tools that they taught us to make our marriage stronger.  after we left i felt that we should support this amazing ministry monthly in memory of ben. not for what we lost in ben, but what we've gained.  each month we get a monthly newsletter/update and i want to share this month's letter. it totally made me think!

we live in such a i, me, my world that we become comfortable thinking only about i, me, my. we notice this in children, teenagers and adults who are thinking about their own needs, own wants, not looking around at others.  it may seem that we are busy with life in general. many mornings i ask the lord whom HE would like me to reach out to today.  the list can range from a divorced, single neighbour....to a widower....a couple who is lonely....etc....the list goes on and on.....


the letter went on but this totally reminded me a few yrs back, actually when i was in the midst of my grief, anger and rage. i was lost in my own pain, my own world, my own self.  i was talking to a friend about, well. me!  she looked me in the face and sharply, with little mercy but lots of love told me to get over it. and to stop being selfish by thinking about me. then with love..ha ha...she told me that as long as i was focused on me and my own life, my own pain, me me me that i was wasting my salvation. i was saved to be self absorbed? no. i was saved to reach out and get over me and my hurt, my pain, my life.  she then reminded me that while im focused on me, ill never do anything for Him. 

you know what? she was right. i stopped thinking about me and my hurt and instead asked god to show me ppl to reach out to. i was blown away by the new relationships i've built. the coffees i shared and how full my life felt.  i wasn't living for me. i was living for him. 

so as i read the above the other morning, i realized that i need to get back out there and ask god to use me to reach OTHERS who are hurting. it was a good kick in the pants.  so far, ive already made a new friend and welcomed more kids into my back yard to play and talk....i like to call my back yard my mission field...i may be a stay home mom, homeschooling, mama of 3, wife to chris, church volunteer, etc...and say but im busy, ya'll!  busy! busy! busy!  sure that's true, but i cant be too busy to welcome someone into my home, to chat, email, text, visit, encourage, teach a church class, reach out to a neighbor, make some cookies etc...i cant be too busy doing my own thing to be used by god....right?!.....

stop thinking about yourself and your life!
get over it
be used today!

live a full abundant life!

im off to start my day...


2 comments:

mom said...

Excellent reminder of why we are here. Thank you Mel. God bless you....

Loana said...

So powerful!!
Thanks for the reminder!