This awesome blogger theme comes under a Creative Commons license. They are free of charge to use as a theme for your blog and you can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.
RSS

my very first date. evah!

this will be a picture less post. sorry!

this will be long blog. not sorry!

so. last night i was awake at 4 and could not get back to sleep. so i did what i normally do. i remember things...with valentine's day just around the corner, my mind ended thinking about my very, ever, "boy/girl/car date)first date and i thought i would share it with you's!

i was 13, i wore a purple swatch brand skirt (that i borrowed from my sister) and a white blouse. i remember doing my hair and make up and feeling excited! happy! and a bit nervous, not knowing what to expect and walking in uncharted territory

the door bell rang, a few minutes early. i ran down the stairs in to the kitchen, to the back porch and opened the door. i was told how wonderful i looked and took the flowers that he brought. just for. me! i gave them to my mom who promptly put them in a vase. i looked at them and proclaimed that they were the most beautiful flowers (they were!) and how lovely they smelt. then i said good bye and walked out the door

i was given an arm to take, to help me down the stairs (i was wearing heel). i was lead to the car, a door was opened for me, after i had settled the door shut

the car was started and off we went

the conversation was hard to get going. being alone in a car, on a date and feeling those jitters. by the time we hit the highway, i found my voice and like normal, i talked a blue streak . right up to the restaurant parking lot

my date got out of the car, walked around the car to my door, when he opened it and reached his hand out to help me out

we walked to the restaurant, he held my elbow. we walked to the seating area when i was surprised and pleased to find out our table was ready. a reservation was made. our meal was wonderful, conversation flowed and all to fast the food was gone

he drove me home. i was wondering how the date would end (you all know what i am talking about) as he turned the engine off, he got out of the car and again opened the door for me. he walked me to the door where he took my hand, placed his hand under my chin so i was forced to look at him in the eyes as he spoke . he then said something that i have never forgotten. he said

"melanie, you are beautiful. you are also smart. i had a great time tonight. i want you to know how special you are to me. you deserve nothing but the very best. i also want you to know that you deserve nothing but the best treatment. always know how much i love you. never accept anything less."

he then kissed my hand. turned around and opened the door for me

he turned around and waited for the door to shut. then walked back to the car

that night he set the bar high

thanks dad

a few years later dad started buying me flowers on valentine's day. every year, i knew i would be getting flowers. every year i smiled, i loved it. i was not left out. some of my friends were getting flowers and gifts from boys, others were not. most felt rejected, unloved, not special, undesirable, depressed and even hopeless of ever finding some one to love them.

all girls want to be wanted. we want acceptance. we want to be showered with affection, attention and love

most go looking for it

i didn't have to. i had a man in my life that helped remind me to expect the best and NEVER settle for less

as i approached 30 and my hopes were low, my prospects were even lower. my expectations stayed. my list of what i believed for in a mate was covered in dust

my dad told me that he would be the man in my life until god brought my husband to me and he was

then one day my dad was replaced as my man

but he will always be my first date. i love you dad. kick this cancer ok?!

guys who are reading. shower from birth your daughters. flowers, cards, letter, notes, spend time with her, talk to her. be the man she desires. if you do i promise she won't go out there looking for love. she wont have to. she has you

5 comments:

Shannon said...

This made me cry!!! I so believe in this - the result of a daughter who has shared dates with her Dad, and the result of those who haven't. It's truly amazing! Although my Dad didn't always step up, there was always a father-figure in my life who did, and I set the bar high because of that. I know my husband will be the most incredible father, and cannot wait to see him with his daughters! Mel, thanks for sharing this story!! LOVE this!

Shannon said...

Mel, I read this to husband and he asked me to relay this response to you, "Mel, thank you for the very inspiring post. I think it is an inspiration to all of us men who may be fathers to little girls, one day!"

Amanda said...

Beautiful, and so true my beautiful cous (both inside and out)
The girls that have low self esteem and loose their innocence way before they ever should, are looking for the attention and love of men in the wrong places.
I love this, this is a challenge, for men to love their daughters and build them up, and its a challenge for daughters to be patient and wait the glorious gifts of God, and to believe that they are worthy!
<3
Love and Happy Valentine's Day

mary said...

Hi Mel:

I relived every detail of this story, rembering how he had planned it and how Poppa had worked all day and drove home the half hour, how he made all the plans, flowers, made the reservations and knowing Poppa thought in advance what to say to you. He was tired but not too tired to keep his promise to you.
I do wish that this world would realize how important a dad is in the lives of their children, and esp. daughters. Thanks Mel for allowing me to relive such an important date.
love m

Penny said...

Love this post so much! I forwarded it to Scott so that one day he can do this for Olivia :) I had already planned to take Noah on his first date to teach him how to treat a girl with respect!

You had awesome parents and it shows in your everyday life :) god bless your dad and I pray, too, that he kicks this cancer rift back to where it came from! <3