This awesome blogger theme comes under a Creative Commons license. They are free of charge to use as a theme for your blog and you can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.
RSS
this blog is tongue in cheek. those who know me, know that i am posting this with no bitterness/anger/resentment etc...

over the last yr, i have kept a short list of really stupid things that people have said to me about losing ben. i am posting it today...i reached # 10...ha!

10 really stupid things that were said to me

1-“thank goodness it happened now and not later” really now? why would that be?

2-"maybe there was something seriously wrong with it, it’s a blessing that the baby died"
3- "god must have a reason"

4- “I had a friend who lost her baby at blah, blah, blah weeks. You had it much better/easier”
5-"maybe you should get checked out by a doctor" …yeah. That is brilliant. Never thought of that before!

6-complain to me about your pregnancy pains a few WEEKS after I lost ben. Seriously? Must I tell you to shut up?

7-"god needed ben in heaven". Yeah, my god is a baby killer and uses those babies for his garden. Seriously?

8-6 wk pp check up. The dr asked me where the baby was. I said she should go read my chart. I kinda thought it was funny, I still kinda do

9-walking past a group of friends talking about how cute our kids are. Then one said “nate is so cute, you should have 10 more!”

All righty then! I waited, you know to give her/them a minute to THINK about what they just said but nope. I got another “ nate is so cute, you should have more kids

Then I gave them the death stare and said “yeah, well, we are working on that one”

10-a friend of mine and I share the birth/death date of our sons. A mutual friend said “how wonderful to have a friend to celebrate the day with”
Yeah. I would have used the word grieve, not celebrate. bright one


Amazingly, wonderful, supporting and often tear producing words

1-welcome to the club that no one wants to be a part of, please know that you are not alone

2-can I just hug you?

3-other moms of lost ones simply sharing their stories

4-having ben remembered in the simple ways by loved ones

5- a candle. o simple. o beautiful. i love it

6- a friend showing up at my door, with a meal, a hug, a book/pamphlets and demanding to be told what she can do. I had her call and cancel my 3 d ultrasound appointment that was to happen that week, a call that was making me sick to think about

7-the emails, the phone calls, the letters, the support, the love shown by close family, close friends and surprisingly those who I didn’t know so much before. i won't name them but they know who they are

8-the out pouring of love and support with the meals for the 2 weeks that followed. the meals that were left on my door step, the consideration and the respect of my privacy during those icky weeks that followed. the flowers that followed. the words of wisdom of those moms who did this before me

9-"i don’t know what to say so I will say nothing". Then she gave me a hug. Then I cried


10- "you are loved"

11- "it will get better. the pain will ease. talk, talk and talk it out. do not blame yourself, you did NOTHING, you will never forget your baby but it is ok to move on and live"

12-"remind yourself that you are a daughter of the king"

13- "i am coming over to babysit nate while you go out with chris" not just words. but they actually booked the night and did it

there was more love shown then stupidity. it just makes me roll my eyes and chuckle some days!

6 comments:

Chris Eigenheer said...

And here's another one: Shortly after the doctor gave melanie the 3rd round of pills used to induce her i went for a brief walk out in the hallway of the maternity ward and that same doctor said in a cheerful, happy voice: CONGRATULATIONS! me saying in my mind: Ahem...yeah, I don't think "congratulations" would be the appropriate word for our situation here...and then he realized who we were and that we were not the ones going home with a new baby...I know he felt really bad because i could tell by the look on his face and i felt bad for him because i knew it was an honest oversight/mistake...

Crystal said...

I remember you mentioning all of those comments, and how horrible they could have been to you, some even devastating... BUT, you handled them with a grace that I am not sure I could have mustered up, it shows your true strength. And some were so bad, that you had no choice but to laugh at them, because no one could be THAT stupid, right??? LOL
The almost making that doctor cry at your 6 week check-up, so that she had to go outside to collect her thoughts, that one was something else...

Anonymous said...

Melanie I feel the pain in your heart. I am not a diplomat, and do not want to hurt you more. The scare of losing Ben will allways stay with you and the remembrance is sad. I pray that the deep pain will losen his sting. Jesus will heal the pain and hurts in your heart,in His time. Till then and allways may God keep you in His good care. Love from Muetti

Daddy said...

I love you Baby Girl.

Bask in the arms of the Men close to you! Jesus, Chris, Nate and me, your Father. Our Love will ALWAYS be there for you.

Daddy

mel said...

thanks guys for your love and support!

Veronique said...

I don`t think I said any of those comments! Phew!... Hopefully, I`m in the category of people who helped! lol
Some people are just very good at putting their foot in their mouths..
When it comes to grief, we all need to be careful in what we say and do..
Love you guys!