This awesome blogger theme comes under a Creative Commons license. They are free of charge to use as a theme for your blog and you can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.
RSS

love this story!

how much do i love, love, love this!?!?! i linked the linky to the site but i also c/p the article. i would have been all over this as a kid, actually i think we did a lot of mini businesses....ha.


http://www.homeschoolhorizons.ca/2012/02/young-entrepreneurs-pouch-cove-cookie-company



Young Entrepreneurs – Pouch Cove Cookie Company
by Shannon Ratcliffe on February 16, 2012

Here at Homeschool Horizons, we recognize that the Entrepreneurial Spirit is alive and well in the homeschool community. With parents who encourage children to develop their passions, and budding business people who are not trapped all day in a classroom, we believe that the future of creative business is in these vibrant youngsters.

We’d like to introduce you to Jake, the future Cookie King of Newfoundland:

Describe your business and what is the story of how your business came to be?

I sell cookies. My company is called Pouch Cove Cookie Company. I sell them every Saturday in the summer time in front of the Town Hall in our little town of Pouch Cove. I also take orders.

I started selling cookies in the summer of 2005. I was seven years old. I started by selling at the side of the road. I had a sign that said “Cookies For Sale” that I held up when a car would go by. I did that for a few summers. In 2009 we were on our way to Ontario when we bumped into these two gentlemen in Tim Hortons in Nova Scotia. He started talking to me and when he found out I had my own business he said he was going to send me something and it would be waiting for me when I got home. It turned out to be an autographed copy of the book written by Ron Joyce (the guy who made Tim Horton’s into the success it is today) as well as a plastic cookie stand that said in big red letters “Pouch Cove Cookies by Jake Wescott” The stand folds up and that’s what I use to sell my cookies from. It’s really awesome selling cookies by the ocean!!!

What hopes do you have for the future of your business?

Oh…I love this question!!!! My hope is to become the most popular cookie business in all of Newfoundland!!! I hope to open a cookie factory.

In what way(s) has your business challenged you to grow?

I’ve had to learn how to deal with all kinds of people and always be polite even if they aren’t happy.

How has having your own business affected your understanding of people and/or how the world works?

I have learned that there are all kinds of people in the world. Most are easy to deal with and some are a little tougher.

In what way is the reality of being an entrepreneur similar or different to what you imagined it would be like?

It is different than I imagined because in the beginning I thought I would just make cookies and sell them. I didn’t realize I would constantly be trying to come up with new ideas like new cookie flavours that are unique or new ways to sell my cookies.

If you could start your business over again, what would you do differently?

I would make a website before I started selling cookies. I would start off with two or three flavours (when I started, I had only one)

What advice would you give a another young person starting a new business?

I would suggest getting your parents or your brother or sister to help you. Also to be nice to all customers. Also, don’t give up because some days when sales aren’t going as well as you would like, you feel like giving up but don’t because it will get better and better. The more you try, the better it will get.



Thanks, Jake! We wish you every success in your business!

0 comments: